Wednesday, February 29, 2012

What type of shoes??

A reoccurring question I often get asked is "What kind of shoes are best for Zumba?"  This week's post is an answer to just that.  Keeping in mind these are just my personal choices, ones that I wear and love, but everyone is different!  I literally have tried hundreds of athletic shoes including Zumba's latest versions found at Zumba.com. The shoes Zumba offers are good, they have a cool and sleek design, but in all honesty are not my go to shoes. They are expensive for the quality and don't last very long.  I do wear them on occasion! The following are better investments for long term wear in my opinion.

My #1 choice to date are these beauties.... They are the Nike FREE running shoe and they come in a huge variety of colors and you can even design your own at Nike.com!  I love these shoes because of the soft mesh top. They are easy to move in, very breathable and provide just the right amount of arch support.  Also the bottoms are smooth and work well on a variety of floor coverings if your Zumba class does not have ideal flooring.  I have multiple pairs in different colors including CRAZY Zumba colors and just plain all black (my personal fave).  They range from $85-$100 and are WELL worth the investment. Nike (CALL ME). Haha
Next, I am a HUGE fan of puma.  Mostly because of the soles which often come smooth and work very well for Zumba class.  Again, especially if there is a flooring issue.  Puma shoes I have found to be a bit more narrow (I do have narrow feet) and provide a firmer top and sturdier heel/ankle support.  Not quite as flexible (unless you choose some with a mesh top) so are a good choice if you need extra support.  I love PUMA brand shoes and they are very affordable. I have found them as low as $35 at Famous Footwear of course ranging up to $100.


To sum it up, I seem to always recommend Puma or Nike to my clients.  Both lines providing many options including more firm or more flexible, more grip and more smooth soles etc.  Get out there and get to trying on. Let's be honest. In Zumba there is no WRONG shoes as long as they provide COLOR and the right athletic SUPPORT for you. What works for one person may not work for you.  Get to shopping and you can blame me when your hubby comes looking for you! :) 

Zumbalove


12 comments:

  1. Now I wanna buy those, Nike please call Teresa lol! I miss Zumba but I got the Zumba on XboX Kinnect...it's not the same as U, but it's for now til my hubbys 2 jobs, allow me to come JAM out with ya on Thurs!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all the info Teresa! Now another Q. I'm desperately trying to lose weight. I'm trying to reduce calorie intake etc. I've tried lots of different workouts and Zumba is definitely my favourite! Is it very effective for weight loss?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zumba is a very effective workout to assist with weight loss! Of course eating right is essential but adding Zumba will definitely up the calories you are burning over all each week. I recommend keeping calories between 1400-1600, drinking half your body weight in oz. of water each day (ex; I weight 140 so I drink 70oz of water daily) and Zumba 3-4x a week and you will most definitely see a drop in weight!

      Delete
  3. Oh thanks a lot for getting back to me so quick! I really appreciate it! I usually zumba about 4-5 times a week so that's great! And will bear the water intake in mind.

    THANK YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really appreciated this post THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny - I found your blog by researching the best shoes for Zumba. (I'm a new fan.) And it turns out that the Nikes I wear are what you'd recommend, which makes me oh-so-happy. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried doing Tae Bo about fifteen years ago. I did not hear any instruction about what type of footwear to use, nor what type of surface to do the exercise on. I wound up messing up my knees because there was too much traction with the footwear/surface combination that I was using ( I was exercising in my living room on the rug, wearing sneakers). It's so important to be sure to wear the correct footwear and exercise on the correct type of floor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was wondering if the Nike free run 3 are as good for zumba as the Nike free run 2? They changed a couple of things and I didn't want to get the wrong ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely recommend any of the Nike Free Run's it just depends on what your foot is most comfortable in. For example I recently tried the Nike Free Run 3 with the 5.0 sole which affects the flexibility and thickness of the sole and I like it a lot. :)

      Delete
  8. This site is a fine place of important information! Will you be mind if I make a trackback of one of your posts on my own blog?

    ReplyDelete
  9. May I know exactly which model of the nike free run did you feature in that pic please?
    thank you

    ReplyDelete
  10. For me Puma is always at first for all types of shoes. I get meet with the new trend with Puma shoes.

    puma slippers

    ReplyDelete